Friday, July 20, 2012

That Just Happened

This is my first post, who knows if anyone will ever read this ish so it could be me rocking in the corner crying to myself.  What else is new?

This is my Jerry McGuire mission statement. 

I just turned 37 three weeks ago, got married two months ago and went on a great honeymoon in Italy. My wife is 35 and the best thing that's ever happened to me, there's times when I feel like pinching myself because I'm with her.  We got married after dating for two years, we moved in together after five months of dating.  What I'm trying to say is we did everything quickly because we knew how lucky we were when we met, and we knew we wanted kids and the clock was ticking.

Anyway, the goalie was pulled on our honeymoon.  We got busy every day except for one day when we were exhausted and overheated from hiking all over Florence in 95 degree heat.  The monthly bill came anyway.  We started to worry.  What if something was wrong?  What if we're one of those couples that needs help?  We did a little research on ovulation, how to increase your odds of success, etc.  I did a little research on the Chinese calendar, what positions are best for having a boy, etc. 

Month two of trying and we were pretty sure we nailed it.  The making the baby stuff was better, more romantic and less of a task, which it had been occasionally during month one.  So the monthly bill was due on Tuesday, and it never came.  She took a test, and it said she's pregnant. Then she got up Wednesday morning and took another test.  I got a text from her with a picture of the indicator literally saying the word "PREGNANT".  We're knocked up, its Friday.

How do I feel? Holy shit am I happy.  But alternating with the profound joy are feelings of terror and the realization that I don't know a goddamn thing about pregnancy or being a father.  I'm doing the research online, I'm ordering the books on Amazon, I'm a sponge soaking up how to be the best baby daddy I can be.  And all I keep reading is: "You are fucked".  Apparently, I'm basically living with a ticking time bomb of hormones and whining.  I don't buy it, so I'm starting this blog so if someone some day is like me and wants to know what being an expecting father is like, they can have the truth.  I'll lay it out there, the good and the bad, and I promise to be honest. Also, I don't know shit about blogging, so bare with me.

Also, I'm not just going to write about baby stuff. I think babies and kids are boring as shit, so here's a little about me.  I'd rather hang out with my dog (whom I potty trained in two weeks) than hang out around a screaming baby.  I mountain bike and do crossfit to stay in shape and I work in finance for a huge institutional bank with universities, pension funds and various government agencies as clients.  We'll see how much my interests change during this process. 

So we did the first picture last night of her with her flat stomach against a white wall.  Picture 0 and this is blog post 0.  Star date July 20, 2012, due date March 26, 2012.  May god help us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment