Monday, July 23, 2012

Well, the weekend turned out to be fine.  About an hour after my post from Saturday morning, my wife and I had a discussion about the state of our finances and laid it all out.  I think we both had some valid points, put I left and went to crossfit in a pretty sour mood.  My wife had pointed out that we hadn't explored all the possible options when it came to qualifying for a mortgage and hadn't even looked at signing up for her benefits or mine.

The reason for that is pretty simple, to me.  I pay almost all of the bills every month, and I pay 70% of the rent right now.  Having another two peoples benefits come out of my paycheck makes me want to scream.

Any way, I left on Saturday morning and went to workout with a little extra motivation.  The workout was heavy front squats, and then a 7 minute circuit alternating between 5 muscle ups (a brutal gymnastic maneuver) and 10 thrusters @ 115 lbs (probably the most taxing barbell exercise we do).  I only mention the workout because, for some reason, when I'm taxing myself things become a lot clearer.




I called my wife when I was done and agreed that I needed to at least take a look at everything before I ruled it out.  Then I met her at Barnes and Nobles (they still have them!) and we bought 5 or 6 books about pregnancy.  An older gentleman checked me out and said, "I notice a theme in the books you are buying, are congratulations in order?"  Its funny, we're 5 weeks in or so and haven't told anyone, so this stranger checking me out at the book store was the first person that's congratulated me.  I definitely was filled with... I don't know, joy?

The rest of the weekend was a blur of yard work, trying to stay out of the 100 degree heat and not much else.  I finished a book that I'd been working on on the Kindle for a while and bought a book called "Pregnancy for Men: The whole 9 months" to read on the train.  It's written by a Brit, so all the pop references and certain slang words are pale and taste bad going down. 

I noticed more of what I saw on Amazon and Barnes and Nobles, when it comes to resources for men, they all try to take a sarcastic, funny approach.  Its amazing how many cliches there are when it comes to pregnancy, but then again - we're not doing anything original here.  But the overall feel is like being at one of those comedy traffic schools, the attempts at humor are cringe worthy.


No comments:

Post a Comment