Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Just me and my gyno...

No big deal!   Round two of the visit to the doctor de la vagina was yesterday, and guess what?  We arrived to a fully packed room of giant, miserable looking women and a bunch of screaming kids.  When we went to check in, the nurse let us know they were running about an hour behind.  I seriously should offer to help out with the operational issues in this office...

So we ended up going by Wife's family's house for a little while since its only about 5 minutes away and the nurse was going to call us when they were ready for us. Nothing to interesting to report there, Wife was talking to her moms about the issues she's having with her sister, so I tuned out and watched CNN's coverage of the Republican convention.  I don't care what party you are in, is there anything more stupid than a convention?  Anyway, off my soapbox.

We got the call to come back in at 5 PM, and my fantasy football draft was at 7 PM.  No big deal, right?  Plenty of time for the doctor, the model of timeliness to do her thing. 

So we went in, and were actually shown right into a exam room.   First we did a little question and answer thing, and let me tell you - my wife can machine gun the questions.  Right on cue, in the middle of a discussion about what she can eat to help with nausea,  Wife said, "I need to go to the bathroom to be sick."  Then she commenced with a 5 minute puke session that reverberated through the entire office.  The doctor and I felt awful for her and I got her some ice cold water once she finished. 


And what better way to finish off a rousing puke session than to jump in the stirrups for some cervical testing?  OK, I have something to get off my chest, I am deathly afraid of most health procedures.  I've feinted, out cold, twice in my life - including once just because of a discussion during A&P in high school ( I was known from then on as The Kid Who Feinted).  So stirrups, speculum, giant qtips, etc are not really my thing.  My Wife was a champ, of course, and I just averted my gaze until the whole thing was over.  I suppose it is good training, because I am terrified of the day when the baby is due (end of March, btw). 



So the final step in the check up was hearing the baby's heartbeat.  The doctor used some kind of super mic and found the heart beat right away.  "Boom - boom - boom", it sound so strong and so fast - I pictured a little fetus running on a treadmill.  Wife was all teared up, and I was just overjoyed, there's a little son or daughter of ours in there and he or she is developing and growing and sounded so determined. 

We got out and got home in time for the ff draft, which suddenly wasn't that big of a deal at all.  My team is a'right, a little weak at RB because I decided to take Tom Brady in the first as this is a pass scoring heavy league. 

I've taken the last two days off to rest from the gym, heading back in for an ass blaster of a workout.  Hopefully, I'll see some progress instead of regression this time.  Eating is still crappy, but today's the day it turns around! 

No comments:

Post a Comment